Greystones was put on the map
with the coming of the railway.
The railway was built between 1854 and 1856
and joined Bray to Greystones.
Building the railway was a difficult job
because the railway line had to pass through solid rock.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859) was the engineer.
Tunnels were blasted through the rock using explosives.
The train station was built on the line
dividing the properties of two landowners:
the La Touche Family of Bellevue House to the East of Greystones
and the Hawkins-Whitshed family of Killincarrig House to the North.
It was only when the railway was officially opened in 1855
that many more people came to live in Greystones.
Many of them worked in Dublin and went there by train.
This is still true today.
The Dart first came to Greystones in 2000 AD
and Greystones continues to grow.
Click on this LINK to see some great pictures of the Greystones railway on the Greystones Guide and HERE for more details on the coming of the railway to Greystones on Peter McNiff’s blog featuring Noel Kennedy’s ‘History of Greystones’.