‘Leap Year Times’
Saturday, February 29th 1992
prepared by Johanna Murray and Doireann McKiernan
from Mrs. McGloin’s 4th Class of that year.
The castle was build about 1225 by a man called Walter de Bendeville.
The place got its name from Albert de Kenley
who owned the castle in 1381. He was sheriff of Kildare.
At that time Rathdown castle was destroyed
and its owner Ralph Mac Giollamachoneog died
leaving a widow and young son whose name was John.
Albert de Kenley married the widow
and for a time both estates were under the control of de Kenley until the boy grew up.
In 1377 the castle was captured by O Byrnes.
It was recovered by Bishop Wakefield who gave it to the Archbolds.
In 1482 the O Byrnes tried to take it again.
Donnachad O Byyrne was defeated in this attack.
The Archbolds seemed to have many changes in their fortunes.
In 1638 they sold the castle and 400 acres and the watermill to Lord Meath of Killruddery.
In school this year we spent several months learning all about the Normans in history class.
It is the only remaining Norman castle, we have left in the area is Kindlestown castle
But at the moment they are building houses (Dromont) on the same grounds as the castle.
They are very close to the castle.
And with the vibrations from the trucks and diggers we worry that the castle may fall down
We hope the caastle wont be damaged during all this building.
We are glad to hear that the Board of Works promised to strengthen the castle.
We trust it will be done very soon before our one and only Norman Castle falls down.
You can read more about Kindlestown Castle HERE on Greystones Guide.