Holy Faith Convent

convent

The convent was built in 1906.

In 2015 the convent was sold to the Department of Education.

There are plans to use the convent to give us more room in which to learn and to play.

In 2013, while an extension was being build to the school,

a number of classes went back in time and went to school in the convent.

Click below to see…

More than 100 Years of The Holy Faith Sisters in Greystones

convent

In 1903 Rev. Nicholas Donnelly

Parish Priest of Bray and Greystones,

asked the Holy Faith Sisters

to take charge of a school at Blacklion.

 

It was situated to the left of

the entrance to Applewood Heights.

The Sisters already had convents in

Newtown since 1892

and in Kilcoole since 1897.

 

From 1903–06 Sisters Mary Dionysius, Joanna and Anthony

travelled from Kilcoole each day by pony and trap

to teach in Blacklion School.

They were driven by one of their students.

 

In 1906 the Sisters came and built a convent

beside the church in Greystones

on land bought from the La Touche family.

 

Sisters Mary Winifred, Peter, Bertrand and Reginald

stayed in Kilcoole Convent

for a two weeks or so until the convent at Greystones was completed.

Seven pupils were enrolled at first but these numbers gradually grew.