The marriage of Colonel Frederick Burnaby and Elizabeth Hawkins Whitshed explains the names of a lot of places in Greystones. Click HERE to read more about Colonel Burnaby and HERE to read more about Elizabeth.
There are many place called after Colonel Burnaby even though he only paid a short visit here. He died in 1885. Elizabeth was a landowner in Greystones. She owned the land on which the Burnaby Estate is built. She called the estate after Colonel Burnaby. It was built in the early 1900s.
There is the Burnaby Estate, Burnaby Park and The Burnaby Pub and also in the town
and Burnaby Wood
In the Burnaby Estate there is
St. Vincent’s Road (called after Elizabeth’s father). Here it is in 1985:
Whitshed Road (Hawkins and Whitshed were Elizabeth’s family names).
Portland Road ( The Duke of Portland was Elizabeth’s cousin). This is Portland Road in 1985:
Somerby Road after the town in Leicestershire where the family had connections,
Erskine Avenue after another family member
and Burnaby Road.
Here are some photos of Burnaby Park around 1985
Click HERE to see a timeline of the life and times of
Colonel Frederick Burnaby and Elizabeth Hawkins Whitshed.
Vladimir Yaitskiy via Compfight
William Murphy via Compfight
Lots of places in Greystones are called after Colonel Burnaby.
Who was he?
Colonel Frederick Burnaby was a Victorian celebrity:
a soldier, adventurer, and writer.
He and his new wife Elizabeth Whitshed travelled
to North Africa on honeymoon,
but due to delicate health,
Elizabeth returned to Greystones.
She then moved to Switzerland for health reasons.
Colonel Burnaby was killed in action
(near Khartoum in Sudan) in 1885.
These are from the archives:
See more also from the archives:
Click HERE to see a timeline for Colonel Frederick Burnaby
and Elizabeth Hawkins Whitshed.
Stephen Bowler via Compfight
The village at Rathdown did well from 1308 under the Normans:
the Le Brun and then the FitzGerald families.
In 1534, a castle,
and a fresh water spring were recorded at Rathdown.
In the early 1990s, Dr. Leo Swan reported that photographs taken from the air showed signs that there was once a large village there.
In the Middle Ages there were about five hundred people living at Rathdown, and further south at Greystones was deserted.