Webquest for 6th class
Task : With your partner visit these ten weblinks
The producer of a series of educational documentaries has invited you to help him produce an animation about the Neolithic Era (The New Stone Age) and evidence of its links with Greystones. You will be working with a partner. Both of you are to help produce this animation by doing some research. Click on the following ten links in order to collect accurate information about the New Stone Age and its links with Greystones. Use the power of teamwork and the resources on the internet to learn about the Neolithic Era. Finally, you will draft a storyboard for the animation.
Objectives: Children should learn: From their research with their partner what do they know about how people in Stone Age times lived?
What are Greystones links with Stone Age settlers.
What evidence tells us Stone Age people lived in the Greystones area?
Why did the early settlers decide to live in the Greystones area?
So as to produce a storyboard detailing what they found out.
Children follow this ten step webquest to learn about the Stone Age
Make a storyboard to illustrate what they have learned about the Stone Age
Points to note
Children to decide what is the key information to be presented.
This research would be conducted over four weeks.
1. Weblink One
In 1992 part of a cliff fell into the sea at Rathdown to the North of Greystones
Read the newspaper report from The Bray People about this event.
What was found includes some artifacts from the New Stone Age (Neolithic Era). What exactly was found from the Stone Age?
2. Weblink Two
If you found a strangely shaped stone in the rockfall, how would you know it was a Stone Age tool. Click on this link to learn how
3. In the cliff fall a shell midden was also found. What is a midden?
Use the search and find facility (Control+F) to find the word midden in this piece.
What would you expect to find in a midden?
What does this information tell us about the food Stone Age people ate?
Based on this information start a list of food the Stone Age people ate.
4. Take a look at this photograph of a rubbish pit.
Discuss the answers to the questions on your page with your partner.
5. Here is a piece about Stone Age food.
Is there any new food items that you haven’t on your list so far?
Add any new items to your list.
6. In 2006 a student found a Neolithic tool in the school yard. Click on this link to find out what it was
7. Would you know how to use an ancient stone tool if you unearthed one? Try your hand here.
8. Click on this link to find out why Stone Age people may have chosen to settle in Rathdown, to the North of Greystones
9. Watch this short animation on the Stone Age.
What did you learn about the Stone Age that you didn’t know before?
10. Here is an animation on a Stone Age settlement at Skara Brae in Scotland
Did you learn anything new from the animation about Skara Brae?
Follow up Activity
What would you and your partner include in a storyboard about the Neolithic Era if you were making an animation about the Stone Age?
Start your storyboard now.
– Be sure to include Greystones links with Stone Age settlers.
– What evidence tells us Stone Age people lived in the Greystones area?
– Why did the early settlers decide to live in the area?
– From your research what do you know about how people in Stone Age times lived?